To work as part of a team to provide a comprehensive and professional service to all school library users.
To undertake a range of tasks essential to the running of an academic library, including:
- performing all service point routines related to the circulation of stock e.g. book issues, book returns, reservations
- maintaining records of over dues, lost books and fines
- unpacking and processing of new stock acquired by the library and the maintaining of new and existing stock in good order
- updating and editing of bibliographic and catalogue data on the school library management system
- recording the receipt and displaying of journals/periodicals
- assessing and managing the circulation of sensitive/restricted materials
- shelving and shelf tidying
- handling requests for materials/assisting students and academic staff in the location of print and non-print resources
- creating and updating user/borrower records on the library management system
- assisting in the training of students and academic staff in the use of the online catalogue and database
- assisting in the scheduling and distribution of equipment
- assisting in maintaining the appearance and ambience of the library
- monitoring student use of the library and library equipment as set out in the library policy document
- ensuring the safety at all times of students and academic staff whilst in the library
- maintaining equipment records and assisting with inventory/stocktaking,
- assisting in the preparation of display boards/bulletins and scheduled library events
- planning and leading weekly library sessions for each class to encourage a love of reading, enquiry, library skills, and higher order questioning
- Assisting with author visits, book days, and other events to promote the use of the Library and a reading culture
- The undertaking of such other relevant duties commensurate with the grade of the post, as may be assigned by senior staff.
- Liaising and co-planning with Head of English to ensure library supports school development plan
Apart from the duties and responsibilities listed above, any additional duties as advised by the Headmaster/Management from time to time will also form a part of the job.
KEY RESULT AREAS
- Diligent and responsible performance of assigned task
- Keeping accurate records of all library books and equipment
- Oversee and ensure high standards of service delivery
- Quality library sessions for children each week
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- The ideal candidate should have a degree in Library Science or Information
- At least 2 years experience in Library Management as a Librarian.
- Should have excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact in a firm but friendly way with children, adults, all levels of authority, as well as varied nationalities
- Is able to inspire a love of reading and libraries for children